It’s raining

Well, we’re finally into March and we’ve started it out with a bout of social anxiety.  I got home last night and cleaned house instead of going to Zumba because just the thought of going out and being around other people made my head swim.  I couldn’t do it.  So I dusted and cleaned floors and tidied things up; Justin put stuff into the attic, shook rugs, and tidied the upstairs.  And when I had worked off enough agitation, we sat down for dinner and then cuddled in front of TV before going to bed.

Today, we’re following up with typical March weather – it’s dark and rainy.  It is, on the upside, the kind of rain that smells like it’s going to make the grass grow.  It’s a refreshing change from rain that smells like winter, gets into my shoes and makes me cold all day long.

We’ve had an interesting couple of days around here.  Friday, I was at work from 7:30 until 6:00.  On a day where I would normally work only 4 hours, a 10-hour day is absurd.  I was really irritated by the whole thing.  I mean, sure, overtime pay.  But my Friday!  I had plans for that afternoon!  All of which are now just sitting on my list of things to do and hoping that I have time to do them this coming Friday.  It isn’t looking good for that list.

For dinner on Saturday, Justin and I made “Jade and Ivory Pasta,” which is a recipe that came with my wok and we’ve made a couple of times before.  It’s fettuccini, broccoli, and chicken stir-fried in a sauce with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sherry (that we substituted with red wine vinegar), and a couple other things.  When we got to the end of the meal, Justin’s tongue went numb.  His throat swelled up a little and he felt about as miserable as a person with an allergic reaction could feel without needing to go to the emergency room.  And we sat there, waiting to see if we would have to go to the ER, because the last time this happened to him, he spent more than a week in the hospital.  He can’t take Benedryl because it reacts badly with his system, so all he could do was brush his teeth, rinse with Listerine, and wait.

We still have no idea what set him off, so I’m eating all the left-overs while he feels miserable.  His throat and tongue are still raw and sensitive, with the unfortunate side-effect of being completely unable to taste anything.  It makes me feel sorry for people who have ageusia and never taste anything, and their spouses, for whom it’s probably almost as frustrating.

But we’re very thankful that it wasn’t worse than it was.  Meals that don’t land one of us in the ER = success!

Anyway, that’s pretty much the excitement that’s been happening around here lately.  I’ll try to write about something more interesting soon-ish.


  1. aw, poor guy… I hope he’s feeling better soon! I wonder what the reaction was to…?

  2. Could you look at the recipe and eliminate things that he doesn’t eat in other recipes? I know this seems like a no-brainer, but it would be good to figure out what sets him off, because these things tend to get worse with time.

  3. We think it might have been the soy sauce. We tried a low(er) sodium option in the recipe. We’ve done a few other things with it, but not to the degree that this recipe called for. It’s either that or the red wine vinegar. But we’re still working on that.

    Yesterday, out of the blue, he was able to taste things again. He was having lunch and thought “Wow, this is really onion-y” and then “Whoa! I can taste things!” His mouth is still sensitive, but he’s doing better. 🙂

Comments are closed.