Couple day recap and Saturday plans

I haven’t posted in the last two days because I’ve been having absolutely wonderful days and I didn’t want to sit in my hard computer chair to write about them.  Happy!  But this morning it’s Saturday and I’m taking a slow morning before working up to a busy afternoon and I thought I’d just take the time.

Thursday at work was the most fun I’ve had in a while.  I wish I could remember exactly what I did in the morning, but I know that a large part of it was editing a Word document for cross-site usage.  It was fun!  It’s about desk and file organization and how desk-space needs to be kept neat and organized and recommendations on how to manage all of that.  I didn’t write the document, someone at the Appleton branch did, but I took it and made some things flow better and made it so it works with all sites.  Hopefully it’ll pass review on Monday with the committee.

I also spent a good deal of time figuring out how to get everybody in my group organized under the same folder on the local file network.  Currently, we’re all spread all over the network, without any sort of organization and no idea how to find each other’s work.  It’s actually a problem throughout the whole department that we’ve been working on correcting for a long while, but my group is finally getting into the act.  So I sat down and asked people where they work, what they access, where they save things, and what kind of organization would work best for them.  I got a lot of helpful information and a great deal of progress on the whole thing.  I have a couple of more people I need to talk with before I propose my ideas to the group, but I think it’s going to work out really well.

Oh!  The other thing I did in the morning was find the information one of the guys needed to prove to . . . the guys who approve his status as a guy who can sign specific kinds of paperwork–it’s complicated.  Anyway, I’ve been working on a project that pretty much involved scanning three-ring binders full of approvals.  Several binders.  It’s very boring.  And I wasn’t totally sure that there was a reason for me doing it.  But when we got this request, after one of the guys told me which airplanes this would involve, I just copied all the files that I’d been scanning and put them into a folder.  It was exactly what he was looking for and it only took me a minute or three.  If I hadn’t been scanning those documents, it could have taken me days to find all the papers he needed.

It was a great day!  I felt like I had purpose!  And it was a purpose that actually interested me!

After work, I ran out to the car through torrential rain, went home, changed into dry clothes, and then Justin and I met up with our marriage mentors for dinner at Fudruckers and dessert at their home.  We hadn’t seen them in a while and it was really great to meet up with them again.

Yesterday, Justin had to go into work for a meeting that ended up begin canceled.  I stayed home and worked on the house.  The problem with getting home close to 7:00 and then wanting to exercise and have dinner is that there isn’t much time left in the evening.  Somehow, the house turned into an awful mess.  So I worked on that–putting things into place, finishing the laundry, vacuuming the floors.  It doesn’t sound like a whole lot, but it took me all day and I was wiped by the time Justin got home.  And the house looks a lot better than it had.  It’s surprising how much it helps just vacuuming a room.

And I got to talk with Mom and Erica and had lovely conversations with them both!  I have plans to call several other people over the course of this weekend.

But so far I’m taking a slow morning.  I slept in for a while and now I’m sitting at my computer.  I’m stiff all over, from the bottoms of my feet to the back of my shoulders.  I’ve taken a few ibuprofen and I’m waiting for them to kick in.  We’re going to start packing this weekend, starting with the books in the office and the office closet.  We have just over a month before the move, so we don’t have to do this super-quickly, but we both would like to get things started before time does become a concern.

Especially because when the beginning of August gets here, we’ll be in the middle of summer and the hottest, most humid time of the year.  It’s not a fun time to move.  If we can get boxes from the house moved down into the garage at a slower pace, then moving will be that much easier.

But right now, I think I might go give my husband a kiss and ask when he’d like to start working.  And then I’ll go find myself some breakfast.

I hope you’re all having a perfectly wonderful day!